Thursday, August 6, 2009

BACK TO CIVILIAN LIFE AND COLLEGE
With orders in my pocket relieving me from active duty, we were ready to return to Montana and home. The Air Corps Depot crew came to our little apartment and took care of crating and shipping our scant accumulation of household goods. When they were gone, one morning we dusted the cinders and soot off Mabel, our little car. We loaded our suitcases, clothing, some very minor items of food and personal effects, and were off. That was about the 18th of January, 1946. We were excited at the prospect of leaving Chicago. Although the work in the depot had been interesting, we didn't really like the cold, the dampness, the constant wind, and the dirt and grime of Chicago. Also I was very happy to be leaving the military organization! It is difficult for me to recall or describe how I felt then about my war service. I felt that I had worked hard, and done my best. I was then and since a little regretful that I didn't serve overseas. Apart from that, I know that my experience in the Air Corps had a lot to do with my way of facing life, work, and social relationships. It was better training than I could have obtained in any other way.
We made a late start, and didn't drive far that first day. The weather was cold and threatening. We headed northwest, passing through Madison, Wisconsin late in the afternoon. Though the car, with its canvas top and many open cracks around the windows, admitted a lot of cold, fresh air, we weren't too uncomfortable.
We pulled into Black River Falls, Wisconsin, soon after dark. We had no idea where to spend the night, but noticed a sign in the front yard of a private home. "Bed and Breakfast," it said. We stopped, and found it a fine place to stay. The people who lived there were very friendly, and showed us to a nice, warm room. They made us feel right at home, especially after the lady learned that Jane was pregnant. We slept well and had a good breakfast and visit with them.
That next morning was sharp with frost. Mabel the car started without trouble, and we continued our travels, on toward the northwest. We passed St. Paul in the afternoon, and drove on, planning to stay overnight in St. Cloud, Minnesota. However, when we arrived in St. Cloud we found every hotel and motel along the highway full. We decided to drive on, hoping to find a town less crowded.
Finally we came to a little town, and rented a room above a little restaurant and drug store. It was neither hotel nor motel, but was all we could find. The night was very cold and crisp--a good night to be indoors. When we went to the cafe downstairs to eat, we learned that the town was hosting an area basketball tournament. Later that evening, the place below us was packed with youngsters until late hours. It wasn't easy to sleep! We didn't complain, though; we were glad to have a safe, warm room!
Our third day on the road was uneventful. We made it to Bismarck, North Dakota, the state capitol. We found a warm, snug little motel in the valley, and stayed there for the night. The weather was cold, but we had a comfortable rest.
Then we came to our day of testing! Early the next morning, about six o'clock, I stuck my nose out of the motel door to check the weather. It appeared to be a quiet, peaceful morning, though cold. I couldn't see the sky clearly, so didn't know whether it was cloudy. At least there was no snow falling. We agreed that we should drive on to Minot, about one hundred and fifty miles away. We planned to stop for breakfast somewhere on the road.
It was still very dark as we drove through Bismarck, turned right on the highway north, and climbed the hill past the state capitol building. Soon we were a few miles out on the open highway and found ourselves in a blizzard! Now there was plenty snow falling, and it was drifting, too. A strong northwest wind, often meeting us head on, was building big drifts across the road. I was too young and foolish to turn back, though that was the obvious wise choice.
Now we found how truly inadequate the little roadster was in severe weather. Snow came sifting in through any openings it could find. It came in around the accelerator, brake and clutch pedals, and made little drifts on the floor. It came in around the windows, too. Jane wrapped herself in a wool army blanket, and soon looked like a white cocoon.
I wasn't as well protected. I was wearing low rubbers over my army dress shoes, and my feet were freezing! We had the heater running full blast, but that made little difference. We knew we must find some way to keep warmer, but there seemed nothing to do but keep on driving. Luckily for us, there was no traffic on the road. No one passed us, and we met no other cars for miles and miles. I think the hardy natives of North Dakota knew better than to be on the road in such weather!
About 10AM, we stopped in a tiny town. We ate breakfast in a cafe, and inquired where we might find overshoes to protect my feet. There were only a couple of small stores, but we did find and buy a pair of tall overshoes. Oh, they felt good on my feet! By that time the snowing had stopped, and the sky was clearing. It was still miserably cold, and the wind was as strong as ever.
It still makes me shiver as I recall that morning! We arrived in Minot early in the afternoon, and stopped at a cafe for a late lunch. We learned that the temperature stood at -17 degrees, and the wind was clocked at about 20 miles per hour. I have no idea what the "chill factor" was--they didn't use that term in those days. Worse still, the highway on west was reported closed!
We had about decided to stay in Minot over night, when a big highway truck with snow plow went by, heading west on Highway 2. Despite warnings from the cafe people, we headed out again! We had already gassed the car, so were ready to try it again. We followed that snow plow for many miles.
All went well until we were about ten miles east of Williston, ND. There the car engine suddenly went dead! I tried and tried, but it simply would not start. We could see the town of Williston in the distance. Between us and the town was a long, straight down grade. We did the only thing we could--we pushed Mabel out into the road, and coasted down that hill. In fact, we coasted clear to a filling station on the outskirts of the town! The manager helped me push Mabel inside, and after a couple of hours, we could start again, all thawed out.
After buying gas from the friendly manager, we headed on toward Glasgow, Montana. We arrived there late in the evening, almost frozen, and very stiff from riding. The folks had been expecting us, and had the house well warmed, so we were soon warm, and well fed. The next morning Dad's old homestead thermometer said it was colder than forty degrees below zero! Minus forty degrees marked the end of the scale on the thermometer, and the mercury was farther down in the tube than that! Yet, when I tried to start the little Ford, it started right off. It was a good car, but not well suited for Montana's brisk weather.
I soon found that not having a job, and regular work, was boring. It seemed strange, not having any responsibilities. Four years in the army had left definite patterns imbedded in my thinking. I had to learn how to relax.
When the weather permitted, for those days in mid-winter were bitter cold, I sometimes walked out north of Glasgow, just hiking around. I took the .22 pistol along, of course. In the low hills I sometimes saw big white jack rabbits, and wanted to see if I could get one. Most shots offered were at fifty yards or more, and in the usual wind and cold, that was a very long shot with a .22 pistol. After wasting a few shells, I gave up on getting any rabbits with the pistol.
I laugh now as I think of one thing that happened one evening a few days after we arrived in Glasgow. Jane and I were walking in downtown Glasgow, window shopping. We met a man in navy uniform, also out walking. He recognized me, and I thought I recognized him. We had a little chat; he was getting out of the service, too. As we visited, I called him by his old nickname, "Mutt" and he called me by name, too. I thought he was "Mutt" Chester, from Hinsdale, a fellow I had known in high school. We parted then, and when we got back to my folks' place, I told Mom we had met Mutt Chester down town, just home from the navy. Well, she told me that she knew Mutt was in the air force, and still in England!
Who, then, was the mysterious fellow who wasn't Mutt? And why hadn't he corrected me when I called him by the wrong name? I have no idea. We never did find out who he was!
Another thing that may be of interest to you: silver coins were still in wide circulation in Montana in those days. One day I bought a small item, less than a dollar in value, and offered the clerk a $20 bill. My change included nineteen big silver dollars! You could get bills, but had to ask for them. Those dollars were very heavy in the pocket, and made a big bulge, too.
By about the 10th of February the weather let up a little, and I began to think of finding a job. I needed both the work and the money. Our plan was that I would get back to college in the fall. Our first child was due in mid-May, and that would cost a lot. We still had some savings, but not enough for the whole school year.
I learned from the employment office that the Bureau of Reclamation, at Fort Peck Dam, was looking for men. One day I drove out there, was interviewed, and hired immediately. I was to work on a survey party which was surveying a location line for a new power transmission line along the Yellowstone River. I was delighted, though I had never done any surveying. I rushed back to Glasgow, and invested in a pair of stout boots and some wool socks, and appropriate outdoor clothing. The weather was still very chilly.
I reported for work at Fort Peck about the middle of February. With some ten other fellows, we drove in two former army vehicles to the town of Glendive. There we found a place where we could all stay, in a private boarding house. It was not much different from a barracks, with many beds, too close together for privacy or comfort. We ate our breakfasts there, and then bought sack lunches at a restaurant. Our evening meals were purchased in restaurants, also.
We worked ten days straight, and then had four days off. That meant I was away from Jane for ten days at a time, and neither of us liked that. Some of the other men on the crew were in the same boat, with wives at Glasgow or Fort Peck. Jane stayed on at my folk's place for the moment.
I found my assignment a good one--I was lead chainman on the transit crew. All the other men were veterans. We spent many an hour sharing war stories, some pretty gruesome. I think some of the men wondered whether a former officer could handle the rugged outdoor work, but it was not difficult at all. I was a fast walker, and could easily last through the day.
Our route took us along the foothills on the north side of the Yellowstone River, beginning at Glendive and working toward Miles City. In general, the weather was favorable, though we sometimes had snow flurries which made it difficult to use the survey instruments. We ate our lunches out in the open, unless the weather was unusually bad. Then we ate in the vehicles. We had surplus Army vehicles, a carryall, and a former Army ambulance for transportation. The latter was assigned to the level crew, which followed the transit crew in the field. Those four-wheel drive vehicles, though terrible gas-eaters, could climb anywhere!
I really enjoyed the work. As head chainman, I was out in front of the rest of the party, and saw first any wildlife there was to see. I also filled my pockets most days with moss agate rocks which I found. Most of the snow was gone, so the footing was good.
On my first long week-end at home, we found an apartment at Fort Peck, in an old barracks building, and moved down there. Jane needed to have her own place to take care of, though it meant she would be alone for long stretches of time. She quickly got acquainted with our neighbors, other young couples, and that helped. Usually when I was home we would go in to Glasgow for church on Sunday mornings, and have dinner with my parents.
The time went quickly, and we made good progress on the job. Then, about the middle of April, Jane and I decided that she mustn't be alone so much, as the baby should arrive around the middle of May. I talked to the Bureau's personnel man, and worked out a new assignment (and a slight promotion) to a job in the Bureau's warehouse there at Fort Peck. That allowed me to be at home each night, though I hated to leave the survey work. I had really enjoyed that job!
The job in the warehouse was a good one. I usually walked to work, taking a sack lunch, so that Jane could have the little car. Work in the warehouse, and in the outdoor storage yard, kept me busy most of the time. We had all sorts of things to store, issue, and inventory from time to time. Most of the items were used in maintenance of large power transmission lines, and in the repair and maintenance of vehicles. The garage was located at one end of the warehouse. The travelling line maintenance men kept their vehicle in the warehouse, also. That gave me opportunity to get acquainted with several of them. The garage mechanic and I became good friends, too.
As soon as the fishing season opened, we spent much time fishing at Fort Peck lake, and in the river below the powerhouse. Fishing was lively that spring and summer, and we had many fine meals of yellow perch, crappie, catfish, and sometimes walleyes. We often went to Glasgow to visit with the folks, and to shop.
In the evening of May 17th, after fishing at the lake, we were busy cleaning a big catch of yellow perch. Suddenly Jane announced that she must go to the hospital immediately! To be specific, the "water broke," which meant that the baby was about to arrive! While we were fishing a big thunderstorm was coming up in the west. Now it was upon us, raining hard, lightning flashing, and a strong gusty wind was blowing. Fort Peck was eighteen miles from Glasgow and the hospital. We phoned ahead to say that we were coming in, then started off. With the severe storm, it seemed like an age before we arrived in Glasgow! In fact, the people at the hospital had begun to worry about us, and so had my parents! But we were there in plenty of time.
I'll never forget that night. Jane's doctor had given her instructions earlier that he would use something called "twilight sleep" to sedate her, and that the birth process wouldn't be difficult or painful. Either he didn't get the dosage right, or Jane was different, but that was no calm night. Jane was out of her mind with the difficult and painful contractions. She demanded that she be allowed to get out of the room and go home. A nurse friend of my parents and I had all we could do to hold her down. The baby wasn't born until about 8AM, in the morning of May 18th. We were all exhausted.
We already had a name ready for a boy--David Glenn. He was a large, healthy baby, and we were glad the ordeal was over. Jane stayed in the hospital ten days, as was customary in those days. By the time she was released she was very weak from having been in bed so long. We took her and the baby to my folks' home for the first few days. I drove back and forth to work each day from Glasgow.
The baby had trouble with colic, and Jane and my mother found they disagreed on several points of child care. We were glad when we could move back to our little apartment at Fort Peck. David's colic soon cleared up, and we had lots of fun with him.
We loved to bathe him, and he liked the water. There was one problem--the doctor had instructed Jane to feed him at regular four-hour intervals. That meant one feeding was due at 2AM each morning. When the alarm went off, I would bring David to Jane, and she would try to get him to nurse. All of us, including David, were sleepy, and he would drop off to sleep. My part of the action then was to tickle the bottoms of his feet, in an effort to get him to stay awake and do his duty. After wearing ourselves out on that little business for a couple of weeks, Jane asked the doctor what should be done. He gave a most sensible answer: "let the child sleep!"
One Saturday we drove in to Glasgow, picked up my parents, and drove out to the old homestead. It was the first time my parents or I had been back there since the fall of 1932. I almost wished we hadn't gone, as it was so difficult for both Mom and Dad. The buildings were all gone, almost without a trace. Mom wept the whole time we were there. Dad walked about some, then came back to the car. He had always felt that he was a failure because he hadn't been able to make the place a productive farm. We didn't stay very long.
The summer passed quickly, and it was soon time to make plans for my return to college. We had decided, because we had very little savings, that I should go to the University of Montana, at Missoula, to pursue a course in wildlife technology. I was intensely interested in wildlife, and loved being out of doors. I thought work in that line would be most satisfactory for me. I had dropped the idea of becoming a forest ranger.
About the middle of September we left our apartment at Fort Peck, and moved back in with the folks in Glasgow. I left Jane and David there, with my folks, and drove to my sister Jean's farm near Big Sandy. From there I drove on to Missoula, in time to register for classes. I had already sent my transcript to the University, and received notice that I was accepted. Our plan was that as soon as I could arrange housing for us, in Missoula, I would come back to bring Jane over. That took much longer to do than we anticipated.
I'll long remember that drive from Big Sandy to Missoula! The woods and mountains were beautiful that day, and I had plenty of time to stop occasionally to look around. I arrived in good time, and was assigned a bed in the old gymnasium on the campus. There were about fifty of us new students bedded down there. It was too much like some of the barracks I had lived in during the war!
I was assigned a faculty advisor, to help me plan my course of study. He advised me that a course in wildlife management would require at least three years, and that a bachelor's degree in that field wouldn't be enough--I would have to go on to finish a Master's degree, at least. He and the registrar went over my transcript, and evaluated my military experience as a personnel officer, and granted me senior status in another field.
So I undertook a twin major in economics and sociology, instead of the wildlife study I had counted on. It seemed more practical, and I could earn a bachelor's degree in both fields in only one full year of study. I thought our savings, together with the help of the GI bill, would see us through. That choice had a very large influence in my life work! More about education and jobs must wait for the next blog!

No comments: